Looking for weightloss inspiration?
Meet Sandi Lewis, she's our January Member of the Month
Sandi started with us by doing our 6 week boot camp program. She fit in right away and we knew she would be a great fit here. What's funny is Sandi didn't know that, at all! I was surprised to learn how timid she was about CrossFit and she was surprisingly nervous to use weights. I had assumed that because she played roller derby and had tried CrossFit before that she would just jump right in. Sandi helped me learn never to assume what you think you know about people. I am so proud of her. She's stuck with both her fitness and nutrition plan by making it a priority but she doesn't sacrifice family time to do so. Her transformation is so impressive we knew she had to be our January Member of the Month! We hope she inspires you to take charge of your health and be active in 2018.
1. Why did you decide to start at FMCF?
· I kept seeing these advertisements about this boot camp and it was so close to my house. I was ready to get back into the swing of things and shed the last of the “baby weight” before my daughter turned 3. I needed someone to push me and I needed more than just a gym membership where it was left up to me. I grabbed my friend and we joined boot camp together. It was the perfect combo of required class time and a workout that I could complete.
2. Tell us a little about your journey from Boot Camp to CrossFit!
· I was super nervous to join CrossFit. I have always considered myself an athlete but CrossFit was for super strong, super fit people!! I had attempted some CrossFit in the past but I was always intimidated. During boot camp I started to watch as the CrossFit class was ending, I noticed there was such a wide range of athletic abilities, a group of people supporting each other and people walking out of the gym smiling and laughing together. It was all I needed to push myself to give it a shot. It was by far the best thing I did for myself in a long long time. I started my beginner class and have not looked back.
3. What have you done to make CrossFit part of your life?
· “It’s just what we do” In Wisconsin I have a good friend/workout buddy and that was always our motto. But truly it’s just what I do… I come to the 5:30am class and I get back home and everyone is still sleeping. I found away to have something for myself without impacting my family. I attend whenever I can and I make an effort to run when I am unable to attend or traveling… well I did before we got 4 feet of snow.
4. Over the past year what have your results been like?
· I am a stronger healthier me… I have so much energy and have not felt this good in a really long time. I started the year not being able to run a 400 without walking to running a 5k without walking… I continued the year improving at the gym doing things I have not been able to do since college. I also started paying attention to my nutrition and understand what I was eating (I also have a pretty amazing husband who weighed my food and packed my lunches for me). In terms of numbers I have lost over 40 pounds (1 at a time, 1 week at a time) and roughly 18 inches.
5. What do you hope to achieve in 2018?
· I plan to continue to make myself a priority by healthy eating and CrossFit. I plan to focus more on endurance this year and increase my running and rowing speedsJ I also think doing a pull up would be pretty awesome.
6. What advice would you give to someone who is afraid to get started with us?
· Don’t wait… Come visit us!! CrossFit is about what you want it to be, for me that is being strong and healthy, hanging out with my 4 year old, playing sports, going roller skating, wakeboarding, and yes and even running 5k’s…
· I do believe this gym has something special. I have never felt more at home or comfortable in a gym environment. I love that we are all here together going after different yet the same goals. The support from this community is undeniably amazing. No one cares if you finish the mile in 6 or 14 minutes… They don’t care if you have the 15lb trainer bar or 150lb bar… They are excited and supportive that you came in to work hard and achieve your goals. Now what’s to be afraid of??
7. If you could choose any workout to do for the rest of your life what would it include?
· My favorite workout is the one that I don’t have to think about or plan I just show up and work out!! Oh wait that’s CrossFit. If I only get one workout the rest of my life it would be the chipper style workouts.. Once your done your done and you don’t have to do it again!